Monday, June 9, 2008

My liege, I owe you an apology


Dear Spanish Johnny,

Many years ago, you implored me to watch a television program entitled "The Wire." I did. And I was nonplussed. The first season bored me. The second season did too. I reluctantly continued. The third season hooked me in. A good plotline about rival drug gangs and the cops trying to bring them to justice. Then I watched season four. It is arguably the greatest season of television ever broadcast. The plots revolve around politics (the ambitions of a newly-elected mayor) and the lives of four young boys growing up in Baltimore's brutal West-side. I can't say there's been a character on TV I've ever actually truly cared about before. That changed with this season. I actually wound up worrying about these kids. I'd think about them after the show was over. Totally irrational, I know. One kid in particular, "Randy," still preys on my mind. I hope to God I see him next season where his life isn't nearly as shitty as it is now. This is a good kid, people. He reminds me of a young Nobes. Poor, black, anal retentive, growing up in the slums of Baltimore. Life was hard but I made it out. God willing, Randy will too.

Check out this great review of the show (much better than my simplistic nonsense scribblings)



No, I didn't falsely write that Randy and I were "anal retentive" just so I could put the word anal as one of the labels for this post.

1 comment:

Spanish Johnny said...

"You gonna help, huh?" Randy yelling to Sgt. Carver as he walks down the hospital hallway. "You gonna look out for me?"

Probably the most moving thing I've ever seen on television. Seriously.