Monday, June 2, 2008

20 most-played songs on my iPod (I'm as shocked as you are)

1) "Going to Town"  The Afghan Whigs - Black Love
2) "Burning Photographs" -  Ryan Adams - Rock N Roll
3) "Can't You See" - The Marshall Tucker Band - Greatest Hits
4) "Reba" - Phish  - 3-22-93 
5) "Julius" Phish - 2003-08-03 IT Festival, Loring AFB - Limestone, ME
6) "Unsatisfied"  - The Replacements -  Let It Be
7) "Like The Twilight" - Ryan Adams - 48 Hours
8) "California Stars" - Wilco and Billy Bragg - Mermaid Avenue 
9) "Ashes"  - Embrace - Out Of Nothing 
10) "Jesus Of Suburbia (Live)" -  Green Day - Bullet In A Bible
11) "Skyway"  - The Replacements - Pleased To Meet Me 
12) "Evacuation of the West" - Bruce Springsteen - Goin' Back 
13) "Because the Night" - Bruce Springsteen - Passaic Night 
14) "Willie" - Cat Power - The Greatest
15) "Book of Dreams " - Dion - Light of Day: A Tribute To Bruce Springsteen
16) "Feb 14"  - Drive-By Truckers - A Blessing And A Curse 
17) "Perfect Day" - Lou Reed - Trainspotting 
18) "Ghost"  - Phish - 07-04-1999 Lakewood Amphitheater, Atlanta
19) "Rosalie Come and Go" - Ryan Adams - Lost & Found, Vol.1
20) "Rip Van Winkle" - Witch - Witch

Holy fuck. Where do I begin? Let me start by saying that this list, while an accurate accounting of the most-played songs, is -  technically speaking -  fucked. A few of these songs I know I I've listened to before but there's no way I've listened to them 13 times. (By the way, THE most-played song has only ben played 17 times.) I'm guessing "Willie" and "Rip Van Winkle" were played while I left the ipod on but wasn't listening. So, sorry. Apparently, my little experiment here isn't going to be the glaring spotlight into my bared soul I thought it would be. In fact, it's more equivalent to a birthday candle's incandescence inside the vast, dank, bat-poo-ridden walls of Paris Hilton's puss. Ha-ha-ha. Aren't I hilarious? 

So let's analyze this pathetic, nearly Bruce-less list. I know you're waiting with baited breath. (what a disgusting phrase, by the way.) 

1) The afghan whigs are a woefully underrated band. Their last two albums before they broke up ("1965" and "Black Love") are chock full of seriously Motown-influenced rock that is epic.  
This song in particular has a very dramatic opening to it. 

2) Ryan Adams is a genius. Pure and simple. I mean, I did name this blog after one of his songs after all (oooooh Ryan aren't you so excited I bestowed such an honor on you??) (No, I'm sure Mr. Adams will be reading this.) (No, I'm sure anyone other than me and two friends will be reading this.) This song was largely ignored by me until a close friend, Spanish Johnny, clued me in to its poppy brilliance. 

3) eh.

 You know what? Fuck this. This is retarded. You see the list. You're going to make your own conclusions regardless. I'm not really "analyzing" these songs anyway. Let me just say that songs like "Willie" and "Rip Van Winkle' and "Can't you see" are perfectly fine but they in no way represent my musical taste overall. Especially "Willie." I swear, I have no idea what that song even sounds like. In fact, I'd put it on right now but I"m afraid to move it up another notch in my stellar list. 


No, this was illuminating. 

1 comment:

Spanish Johnny said...

Nobes -- I found your latest post to be as enjoyable as ever. I, too, have questioned the accuracy of the iPod's most-played list. There is something seriously wrong with its calculations. For example, my iPod keeps listing that crappy Pete Yorn song, "Shampoo," as my 8th most-played song. Right. Like I've listened to that more than Incident over the past year... Please. I'm not kidding, I've listened to Girls In Their Summer Clothes and Your Own Worst Enemy about a thousand times on this iPod since October. Why are they not on this list? Get it together, Mac! Maybe once you iron out the bugs in this little device, it will finally catch on with the general public...

By the way, my list was almost entirely Ryan Adams, Wilco and Pete Yorn. Most played track: Tonight by Ryan Adams. That actually sounds accurate, I hate to now admit. Only two Bruce songs--Walking In The Street and Incident (live from Philly 10/6/07). I maybe listened to that version twice, tops. It should not be on there.

No, I'm not on vacation right now.