Thursday, August 7, 2008

Just watch this fuckin' show already!

I'm desperate for new entertainment these days. TV pretty much blows. So I'm forced to watch the few really good shows that were deemed too good for dumb fuck American viewers so they were cancelled. Like, say, Mr. Show. Or, Arrested Development.

Well now I have struck a new comedy gold mine. It is the hit Canadian show called "Trailer Park Boys" and it's one of the funniest fucking things I've ever seen. Like most good shows (Simpson's, Seinfeld) this show took a little time to get really good. I recommend you begin with season 3. If you like it as much as I do, you'll surely want to go back and see the first two seasons.

How do I explain Trailer Park Boys? Crude, would be one way. They say fuck way more than I do, God bless 'em. And it's shot "cinema verite" style so it feels like a "mockumentary." But very rarely do they acknowledge the cameras following them around. It's not like that shitty pile of shitness known as the American version of "The Office" where Jim and Pam look at the cameras constantly. And it's actually brilliantly funny, unlike The Office. So basically it's the story these three guys living in a trailer park in Canada. They drink, smoke, steal, grow weed, scheme and go to jail. In fact, at the beginning of each season the boys get out of jail and at the end of each season, they go back. Don't worry, I'm not ruining anything for you by telling you this. Besides, the guys love jail. They literally think of it like summer camp. They do have a nemesis, of course, and he is equally as brilliant as them. And like any great show (ie The Simpsons) the supporting characters are just as funny as the main characters. I'm not really doing it any justice. In fact, I'm making it sound not funny at all. If you don't trust me, check out this clip right here. The only pre-sell I'm going to give you about this clip is that the character "Bubbles" does not always have a puppet on his hand. It was in this episode only and the puppet was evil. Oh, and Ricky, the one with a rag glued to his nose, fiercely hates "Conky" the puppet.




Seasons 1-5 are available on Netflix. And all seven seasons can be bought on Amazon. I've purchased them all except the "Dope & Liquor Christmas special." I'm saving that for the holidays.


AVOID TRAILER PARK BOYS: THE MOVIE. It blows.


Not too fuckin' funny, eh?

1 comment:

Spanish Johnny said...

Who made you the judge of what's funny? If you've ever lived in a trailer park, you would know that it's not all guffaws and giggles. It's a desolate place filled with desperate people, all longing for a something better. Yeah, that sounds pretty funny. Seriously—who do you think you are? The Clown Prince of Whoopee Cushions? More like Whoopi Goldberg, I dare say. I suppose you also think AIDS hospices and cancer wards are a hoot. Shall I confer with you from now on before I tell a joke, Sir Funny McFunnyBone? Will you guide me with your superior wit, oh mighty humorist? Fuck off.